The time has come to change your roof and we all know this is a big and expensive job. Instead of removing the old ones and installing new, you may be asking: Can I install a new shingle roof over my existing roof?
Benefits of Installing New Shingles Over Old Ones
If you have ever changed a roof before, you are aware of the amount work required to do this. Removing existing shingles will take much more time than putting the new shingles over the old ones.
As with most things in life, when you save time, you save money. If you are hiring someone to install your new roof, having them remove your old roof will cost more money. According to Networx, skipping this process could save you at least $1,000.
If it is done correctly and over a roof that has no visual defects, re-roofing will be visually appealing. It will look like you installed a brand-new roof. According to the experts of roof repair in Orlando, Roof Depot Florida, when done the right way re-roofing will be as durable as installing new.
Reasons Not to Install New Shingles Over Existing Roof
We’ve looked at the benefits, and who doesn’t want to save time and money? However, installing shingles over your existing roof is not always a good idea. Here are the reasons why you might consider removing starting fresh with a brand-new roof:
- It could be too heavy. Your house was likely designed to safely hold one or two layers of shingles and the added weight of snow if you live somewhere where it snows. If you want to install shingles over the ones that are already there, make sure that your house can safely hold all that extra weight.
- Building codes may forbid it. Depending on where you live, it is possible that covering your old shingles is not allowed. In most cities, the maximum is two layers.
- The building paper may need to be replaced as well. The paper that is placed between the house and shingles plays an important role in preventing leaks. When you re-roof, there is no way to change the building paper, and you have no way of knowing if it is damaged.
- It could affect the resale value of your house. When people are thinking of selling, they often consider covering the old shingles to make it more appealing to potential buyers. However, a completely new roof would add even more value to the house.
- Any defects on your old roof will be visible. Shingles are made to be installed on flat surfaces, this means that if you have any shingles that are curled, the new ones will also warp.
- It could void the warranty on your new roof. Before installing over old shingles, check with the manufacturer to make sure you would be covered should you have any issues with your roof in the future.
Tips for Hiring a Roofer to Install New Shingles
Saving money by doing it yourself can be very appealing. However, depending on your level of knowledge in roofing, hiring a professional to do it may be a better option. By doing it yourself, you risk making mistakes that could cost you more money in the long run.
Here are some tips to follow to make sure the job is done right and that you are not paying too much:
- Consult more than one company for estimates. This will allow you to compare prices based on your needs.
- Get detailed estimates with a breakdown of all the costs.
- Make sure the roofers go up on the roof before providing you with an estimate. The roofer will have a good idea of what needs to be done by looking at the roof from the ground but climbing up on the roof will give allow him to see potential issues that may be missed otherwise.
- Have them check the attic too as some issues, such as leaking could only be known by going in the attic.
- Ask questions if something is not clear. If there are parts of the estimate that you don’t understand, ask them to clarify. Make sure you are not paying for something that is not necessary.
- Keep in mind that there could be some extra cost that is not in the estimate. Once the roofer starts the work, there will likely be some unexpected issues that will raise your final price.
Your roof is a very important part of your house and should be treated as such. Re-roofing can be a great option when the time comes to do your roof, but it is important to get the job done right. You wouldn’t want to spend all that money just to have to do it again the following year. If you choose to do it yourself, there are many videos that can help guide you.